Google+ Followers

Wednesday, 18 June 2014

The Last Days of Having a Stomach

The last couple of days have been pretty good and I have been happy.  Monday was just another day at work and I handed over my work to various people.  On the way home I got the tyre fixed on my car.  At home we spent time as a family, just the four of us, and I loved it.

Tuesday was my last day at work and I was going to get a few last bits completed and say my goodbyes, I wouldn't be working again for at least 12 weeks.  At lunch Karyn asked me for a quick meeting and I was ambushed.

The whole office had come to wish me well, I was presented with some gifts and a huge card that everyone had signed.  I found it all overwhelming and emotional.  I thanked them all and had a tear or two and manged to drop my glasses while wiping them away.  They were all so generous and kind, I never expected so much support!  In the afternoon I dressed in my new spiderman onesie before heading around the office to say as many goodbyes as possible.  Everyone was fantastic and offered so many kind words, it took me about 20 minutes just to leave!

My mum came over in the evening so Leonie and I could have a meal out, my last BIG meal.  We went to Duk Pond in town, we had never eaten there before.  I had Strawberry Steak and it was literally steak cooked in red wine and strawberries; it was delicious.  The evening was good, it was nice to talk openly with Leonie and not be interrupted;  we both admitted we were a little worried,  but then again it is major sugery.  We agreed that being practical about the situation had helped, but also all the support from family and friends had be awesome.  I also admitted that whatever happened,  the last week had been great and I jad never been happier,  I have had my family and friends around me and I have fun.

After dropping Oscar off at school on Wednesday,  we made our way to Sheila's to wish her happy birthday, after a nice brew and a good bit of GF cake we went home and I packed.  We had a quick bite to eat before picking up my mum and then dropping off Sidney at Grannys, it was a bit of a whirlwind morning.  We made our way to Ward 3 and my obs were taken, unfortunately my bed wasn't quite ready so they asked me to come back at four.   We had a coffee and some chips at Booths and saw Anne, so she joined us.  Afterwards Leonie and I walked around the hospital together in the sun,  it was a pleasant afternoon. 

We went up to Ward 11, where I was to stay the night.   I had been given my own room with a view over Preston.  Leonie and my mum stayed for a short while before going to get yhe boys after I had settled in.  The nurses visited to again take my obs and give me my socks.  I was also visited by the anethetist and the doctor, both of whom were great.  In the evening I led on my bed and watched the World Cup.

I managed to speak to the boys and say goodnight to them, they were a little confused.  I spoke to my sisters and watched the day turn to night.  In less than 24 hours I will have no stomach,  but more impotantly the tumour will also be gone and I will be on the road to recovery.

The last week has been great, it couldn't have been any better. I am happy and content and look forward to waking up afterwards.  Thank you to everyone who has wished me well, I will see you all shortly once the tumour has gone.  LOVE YOU ALL!

No comments:

Post a Comment