Google+ Followers

Sunday, 16 February 2014

Happy Days

On Thursday I decided to go back to work.  I dropped Leonie and Oscar off at school on my way to nursery, where I dropped off Sidney before going back to work.  I had a box full of food and I was ready to get back into a routine.

I spent the rest of the morning reading and replying to emails.  Around about lunch time a colleague approached me and told me of his fight with cancer.  You read so many stories about how cancer takes people away, and this really does scare you, but on the flipside, there are so many people who have fought cancer and won, I will be one of these, I intend to beat this and come out the other end a much stronger person.

In the afternoon, I went to a meeting and another colleague was shocked to see me at work.  After the intial questions she asked how I was feeling, my response was that I felt lucky.  Lucky not because I have cancer, but lucky that I went to the doctors and they diagnosed the cancer (hopefully in the early stages) giving me a fighting chance to beat it.  During a meeting I had a missed call, so I called them straight back when I was free.  It was Alana from Upper GI at the hospital.  She told me that she wouldn't normally give these updates over the phone, but advised that the biposies taken a week ago had come back clear, meaning the cancer hadn't spread, it was contained.  She also said that the chemo treatment would probably start next week once all the forms had been signed on tuesday when I was due to meet Dr Mitchell again.

I text Leonie then was walking around the office with a beaming smile, this was the best possible outcome that could have happened.  Karyn saw me and she could tell I had had "the call" and called me over, I told her and she was just as happy as me, she told me to go home and let my family know.  When I arrived home, I called my mum and sisters with the news, everybody was really happy, and I was still bouncing off the ceilings!

I got the boys ready for bed and then Zoe and Laura came over before Leonie arrived home.   We celebrated with a drink or two and the good news began to sink in, I went to bed with a big smile on my face that night.

No comments:

Post a Comment